Jump To Top


What You Need to Know About Rent Recovery

Couple renting a houseRenting out a place is probably one of the easiest jobs a person can have. They just literally have to sit down and wait until the following month to collect on the rent. It sounds easy enough until you come across a tenant that is unable to pay or worse yet, one that blatantly does not pay their bills.

Worse still is if your daily expenses come from that rent. What then? Rent recovery is a service available in the United Kingdom that helps landlords recover their losses. A search online will yield a lot of results of companies that offer recovery of your rent money.

But why should you rely on an agency?

Why Use a Rent Recovery Service

More often than not, when a tenant has not paid you for several months, you can consider that already as lost income. This is especially true when a tenant has suddenly left without notification. This is where recovering rent comes in.

This is a process undertaken by a debt enforcement or a debt collection agency that you can hire to basically collect the rent from your tenant even if they have moved out of your property. The people who will recover rent on your behalf are trained and skilful in the art of negotiation.

This allows them to be able to come up with a resolution with a former tenant, which increases your chances of recovering your lost rent while at the same time keeping your reputation good. Another advantage is that you don’t have to deal with your former tenant directly.

What You Should Do

Many studies indicate that the sooner you undertake the debt collection process, the higher the chances a former tenant will pay. This is because the incident is more recent. The longer it drags on, the less likely your previous tenant will be willing to cooperate. So, it is best to start the process as soon as possible.

READ  The Fight to Stay: A Non-Custodial Parent's Right to Object to Relocation

There will be incidences where the former tenant will contact you directly to negotiate. In those cases, it is best to refer them back to the collection agency handling your case. This is so that they don’t go back on their word in the event that you make an agreement with them. It is best to let the agency do all the work.

In extreme cases, a lawsuit may be filed against the former tenant to claim back what they owe. In those cases, the agency will manage the legal work. Just be prepared to provide your own documentation as necessary.